Breaking Sports

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ilitch Hopeful

Since many of the visitors to Breaking sports do not read the Detroit daily newspapers, I though I would post this.
from the detroit news, "If you were to have asked me a week ago, I would have said it's all done," said Ilitch, alluding to the possibility of salvaging the regular season. "But I'm not sure right now."
Ilitch was not critical of defensemen Chris Chelios and Derian Hatcher and forward Kris Draper, all of whom signed last week with the United Hockey League's Motor City Mechanics.
"They have to do what they have to do," Ilitch said.
Ilitch, however, would be disappointed if the lockout ended the career of Wings captain Steve Yzerman, whose season ended during the playoffs last May with a serious eye injury.
"I don't like a guy going out that way, especially him," Ilitch said. "He's our icon and that would be terrible if he had to go out that way."