Breaking Sports

Friday, May 27, 2005

Heads Up

  • The Vancouver Province reports that the deadline for ESPN to renew its rights deal with the NHL, which was extended from April 15 to June 1, is now “supposedly June 15.”
  • BLoomberg News reported that the NBA and NBPA today will meet in N.Y., in what will be the “first face-to-face” labor negotiations since the NBA said on May 18 that it was breaking off talks. The NBA said at that time that the reason for ending the meetings was that the union “reversed its position on several previously agreed-upon issues,” including a league minimum age-limit and contract lengths.
  • Former Lightning captain Brian Bradley said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Players Association head Bob Goodenow have turned the league's labor dispute into a clash of egos. "I think both of them are in the wrong," he said. "I don't think both of them should be around once the deal is made. We need a change." "I think Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow have ego problems," Bradley said. "I'm not saying Gary's a bad guy. I'm not saying Bob's a bad guy. I know them both personally. But after everything is said and done, what they did to the game, they damaged it."