Breaking Sports

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Knocked Out Again

via the CP and Toronto Sun, Prince George city councillors have voted 5-3 to cancel Battle of the Hockey Enforcers on-ice fights in the northern B.C. city.
Council met in a special meeting in yesterday to discuss the event that had been scheduled for Aug. 27 at the city's CN Centre.
Most city councillors had already spoken out against holding the event that features hockey tough guys fighting on-ice for cash prizes, fearing what it would mean for the city's image.
Promoter Daryl Wolski said legal action against the city will be started as soon as possible.
Although an agreement in principle had been reached with the promoter, the paperwork was still being processed council was told.
Wolski has been trying to get Battle of the Hockey Enforcers off the ground for 18 months.
He had planned to stage it in Winnipeg last August but cancelled it less than two weeks before it was to take place because there were concerns police might lay charges if it was deemed to be an unsanctioned prize fight.