Breaking Sports

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

nhl- Harry Neale Waiting

from the CP via Slam, With no NHL hockey to broadcast and no games to watch on television, Harry Neale began to look forward to two things each day.
"A lot of days the two highlights was the morning paper banging against the door and the mailman coming," said the veteran Hockey Night in Canada analyst.
For the first time in almost 20 years of TV work, Neale spent a whole season without NHL hockey. Suddenly the former player, coach and general manager had a lot of extra time to fill.
"I didn't do a hell of lot," said Neale. "I worked out more than I usually would because there was nothing else to do, not because I'm a fitness freak."
Like many people during the NHL's winter of discontent, Neale missed the routine hockey offered, its constants.
"It was a big void in my life," he said. "I missed not getting paid. I'm not the only one in that category. I really missed the game. I missed preparing for the games and I missed watching the games on TV."...more...