Breaking Sports

Monday, June 20, 2005

This and That

  • Nextel Cup driver Carl Edwards, on his girlfriend, Olympic Gold Medal-winning swimmer Amanda Beard: “Around the track I get more attention, but we went to the pool the other day and it was hilarious. ... I walked in with her and everybody walked right past me and introduced themselves to Amanda. They didn’t even want to look at me or talk to me.”
  • The Chicago Sun-Times reported that NBPA Exec Dir Billy Hunter said that labor negotiations will continue today in N.Y., after the two sides met for 11 hours on Friday. The remaining “three main issues” in the talks are the minimum-age requirement, a new maximum length for long-term contracts and changes to the drug policy. A source close to the meetings said, “They’re making progress on everything.”
  • F1 driver Juan Montoya appeared on CBS’ “Late Show” Friday night, where he was asked about the difference between F1 and NASCAR. Montoya: “Somebody asked me today, ‘What’s the difference between a NASCAR and Formula One car?’ I said it’s not about disrespecting, but have you ever driven a pick-up truck and a Ferrari?”